18 Mai 2009 09:07:35
Hi, guys. Here I worked out comprehensive Nokia tutorial with my lovely Nokia 5800. You will find all the most commonly asked questions for Nokia 5800.
Review of My Nokia 5800
I got one 5800 last month and then I was deeply fascinated by this smart phone. It is the first Nokia touch screen phone and you may use your finger or stylus to operate it. Also Nokia 5800 XpressMusic provides wonderful devices for users to enjoy music. Taking advantage of touch screen technology, the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic introduces the ‘Media Bar’, a handy drop down menu that provides direct access to music and entertainment, including favourite tracks, videos and photos. The Nokia 5800 XpressMusic offers all the music essentials, including a graphic equalizer, 8GB memory for up to 6000 tracks, a 3.5mm jack, support for main digital video formats 3GP，H.264/AVC，MPEG4, RM.and audio formats MP3, AAC, WMA, WMV. Built-in surround sound stereo speakers offer the industry’s most powerful sound. So it is really wonderful experience of enjoy music and movies with Nokia 5800 XpressMusic.
How to update the firmware of Nokia 5800 to v21
It is good news that firmware update for Nokia 5800 was released already. New firmware v21 is available. If you also own a 5800, just follow the simple instruction to update your v20 or v10 to the newest v21.
Make sure that your battery is full (VERY IMPORTANT)
1. Go to Dial screen and press *#0000#
2. Press Options -> Check for updates
3. Connect to the Internet with any APN (WiFi is recommended, however EDGE is fast enough for this).
4. Wait until the download finished. Phone will launch the dialog asking for update, just press Now.
5. Press Accept and Accept and the phone will be switched to Updating mode.
6. It takes around 10 minutes to update, so be patient. After that, the phone will be rebooted automatically.
7. Check by *#0000# again. Congrats! Your 5800 is now v21!
As I can see, there are so many improvements and worth to update for example, better camera functionality and the phone operates faster than previous version.
Best Settings for Video Playback on Nokia 5800 Xpress Music
Nokia 5800 as the multimedia phones makes you able to enjoy watching the video and music with it. The question is, how’s to do to convert that videos and what are the best setting used for. I have convert many videos into my phone, I found that most video files can play with this phone such as mp4, 3gp, rmvb and flv files. But of them plays well but some are not. After many tries, I finally got the best results for Nokia video files. My video in 5800 was full screen, high quality and sounds very well. Here are my settings:
Video Resolution: 480*320
Video Bitrate: 768 kbps
Audio Bitrate: 128 kbps
Video Format: MPEG-4 (be sure not to use H264, as it’s not supported in the current firmware)
Audio Format: MP3
Audio Channels: 2 Channels
You can apply these settings above in whatever application you used when converting videos into 5800. Then I am sure you will get full screen, high quality and flawless video in your phone.
Settings for video playback on Nokia N97, N95, N85 and other Nokia phones.
Nokia N97: Video playback formats are 3GP formats, Flash Video, H.264/AVC, MPEG-4; the video resolution is 640×360. Audio formats are AAC, M4A, MP3, WAV, WMA etc.
Nokia N96: video playback formats are 3GP, Flash video, H.264/AVC, MPEG-4, RealVideo, WMV 9; the video resolution is 320×240. Audio formats are AAC, MP3, WAV, WMA etc.
Nokia N95: video playback formats are MP4, 3GP. Video resolution is up to 640*480, audio format is AAC stereo.
Nokia N85: video playback formats are 3GP formats, Flash video, H.264/AVC, MPEG-4, and WMV. The resolution is 320×240. The audio formats are AAC, M4A, MP3, WAV and WMA etc.
OK, I will not list all settings of Nokia phones. If you are interested you may get more relative information on Nokia official website.
How to transfer video files into Nokia 5800
I have download some videos from video website such as Youtube, Google video. But I can’t watch these videos in my phone. Nokia 5800 can’t play such videos. I use Internet Tablet Video Converter to convert it, but it shows “Unsupported Video File Type”. Then I got to know Nidesoft Nokia Video Converter that seems professional for Nokia phone, I free download its trial version and tried it, and it works very well. Below are what I do:
1. Download this program from its official website: http://www.nidesoft.com/nokia-video-converter.html and install it.
2. Click Add button to add video files you want to convert from your computer
3. According to the settings I listed above, you may set size as 480*320, Crop Mode as Full Screen, video quality as 640 kbps, audio quality as 128 kbps; click Format drop list, you may select video format: Nokia 5800 Video MPEG-4
4. Click Convert button to start the conversion. After the conversion complete, you may watch these videos with Nokia 5800.
Options: you may get music from video follow this way. But pay attention to the format. As Nokia 5800 support mp3 audio format, you should select “MP3 – MPEG Layer-3 Audio (*.mp3)”.
How to convert DVD files into Nokia 5800
Obviously phones don’t have DVD drives, so to watch DVD on a phone you have to convert it into a video file on your PC then drag it into your phone. I also follow the above settings and convert DVD files into MPEG-4 video with Nidesoft DVD to Nokia Converter; the results are excellent. You may free download its trial version to try it in this way:
1. Insert your DVD into the DVD Drive. Click the Open DVD button, browse your computer, find the DVD folder of the movie, and open it. Select titles and chapters you want to convert, or select the whole movie.
2. Click Settings button, set your video resolution, bitrate, audio channels and audio bitrate.
3. Click Profile drop list to select “Nokia 5800 Video MPEG-4 (*.mp4)” format for your Nokia video.
4. Click Convert button to start the conversion. In few minutes the whole process will completed.
If you select audio format “MP3 – MPEG Layer-3 Audio (*.mp3)” you may also get music from DVD.
To transfer files into Nokia 5800
In the above tutorial I have explain you how to convert Nokia videos from DVD and other video files. Then you need to transfer these videos into your phone.
1. Make sure your computer and phone are both switched on. Also make sure your 5800 have a memory card in its slot.
2. Plug the small end of the microUSB cable into the phone’s USB socket, which s under a plastic flap in the top left corner.
3. Plug the larger end of the microUSB cable into a USB port on your computer.
4. On your 5800 it should ask which mode you wish to use. Choose “Mass Storage”.
5. Open the memory card window (probably called “Removable Disk E:”), drag your video files into the video folder.
6. After finished transfer files, do not disconnect the cable yet. You should make it safe to disconnect the cable. You may do this by click a small icon in the bottom right corner of the screen that appears when the phone is connected.
7. After you have made the device safe to remove, you can unplug the cable at both ends.
Some useful tips to make the Nokia 5800's battery last as long as possible
Sometimes you may have to stop talking with your friend or watching videos with your phone as low power of your battery. It is more inconvenient if you are in travel and have no alternative battery. Here are some tips to make your phone battery last as long as possible when using telephone.
Do not switch the phone off. As switching a phone on uses far more battery power than simply leaving the phone on.
Shut down unnecessary applications.
Turn down the 5800’s screen brightness to the lowest acceptable level.
Switch off your 5800’s screen when not in use.
Use headphones instead of speakers when listening to music or watching movies.
Avoid using the camera flash unnecessarily.
Use 2G instead of 3G.
Switch off Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi.
Ok, I have typed out all my thoughts about Nokia 5800 here. Hope my tutorial is helpful to you. And all the other Nokia 5800 tutorials and useful how-to information should come here! It is welcome.
Autres pages sur : nokia 5800 tips faq and how
21 Octobre 2009 09:05:49
25 Janvier 2010 08:11:39